Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Justice League Batman



This Batman is from the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons and has been sitting on my desk forever, begging for a picture. Now most of you are going big deal, these things hang around on shelves forever, but this is not one of the smaller figures, it's none other than the 9" to 10" figure that came out a few years back. Yes, yes, if you can find them, they are still on shelves, but if you missed them, I think you are missing out on one cool figure for this reason alone... it can stand up by itself. Those that collect JLU figures will know what I am talking about.



Okay besides that it is a really nice stylized version of Batman, more stylized than the Batman the Animated Series version (not better mind you). If you followed Batman the Animated Series (BTAS) all the way through it's various incarnations you will notice that Batman's style evolved into what is now shown on Justice League Unlimited. I like stylized versions of Batman, whether it be BTAS, JLU, or the newer "the Batman", and from what I've seen the next incarnation, the Brave and the Bold. So when these hit stores it could be understood why I would grab one.

I thought that the larger line would do better than it did, the figures where a cool scale, large enough for small hands, plus they make really cool display pieces for older collectors. I guess not everything bigger is better. To go a little off topic I'm kicking myself having not picked up any of the other of the main characters besides the Flash. This larger scale really displays much better than the smaller scale, and captures the clean lines of the show much better as well.

I think what makes this version one of my favorites is the attitude he brings to the Justice League cartoon, there are more times than I can count that I've watched that show and gone "Now that's the Batman I know, kickin' ass and takin' names!" Those are the times that I think the Dark Knight shines through.

2 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

I think the line killed itself.

Subordinate characters were hard (read: impossible) to find at retail, and of course Batman and Superman clogged the pegs for what felt like decades.

I had most of them, including the HTF WW and Hawkgirl, but finally got rid of them for space reasons.

They were nice though - I'm a huge fan of Timm's designs!

Anonymous said...

I loved the look of all of these. My favorite has to be the Atom because he even came with a tiny version of the character.

And I agree, Batman was given some serious respect in the series at times. He could be TOUGH when the time called for it.