Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

This is another of my favorite Things...

Do da da da, do da da da... sorry we just watched the Sound of Music, I never really sat and watched the whole movie and neither has my wife, so it seemed like a cool thing to do at the time, now we are walking around singing these blasted songs...



Okay, in the 90's Toy Biz cranked out some cool figures of everyone's favorite Marvel Heroes, at least in my opinion some cool figures. Granted there are things like scale and lack of articulation on some of these figures, oh and the barrel shaped bodies of the first releases, but it was sweet to see some of these characters on the shelves. The one that I was looking forward too the most was that ever loving blued eyed Thing, Ben Grimm!



Ben here came from the third series of Marvel Super Heroes, produced in 1991. I remember seeing these previewed in Wizard Magazine and thinking this was the best release to date, the Silver Surfer looked amazing, too bad he was just the series one version dipped in chrome when it actually hit the market. Ben though looked dead on to his prototype, though I could never get mine to hold the sign he came with that he could break with his karate chop, fist pounding action. Which brings me to his action feature, pull his arm back and hit the switch on his back and BAM, he throws down his fist, devastating all that is within its reach... about half an inch.



I have a couple favorite Things, here's an earlier post of one with the best sculpt around, for a toy. Also you can check out the rest of series 3 from 1991 here, enjoy!

Oh and Gooooooood Byeeeeeeeeee!

4 comments:

rob! said...

Wow, is that orange BRIGHT!

Unknown said...

I like this version of THING way mroe than the newer Marvel Thing Figure that you reviewed. This one has charm and it's simple...how it should look. Did Toy Biz release all of the F4 figures during this time? I can't remember.

chunky B said...

They did, all in the same series too. I might still have the others, I'l have to dig in my tower of totes and see. I know at one time I gave Johnny Storm away, but I thought I had another... if not I'll have to check ebay, doh!

If you check that link at the end of the post there are pictures of the others, I never found the color change invisible woman, just the later release that didn't change color.

I'm with you on the way these figures look, better than Toy Biz's first series anyway.

Unknown said...

"Short Pants" Thing for the win! lol.