Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

GONK! GONK!



I really wanted to have some time traveling with Spock, but since he's decided to take Spockcation into 2010 I had to come up with another travel buddy. Say, how much vacation time do you get in Starfleet anyway?

Well at first I thought I would make a second Spock with a different color vacation shirt, but I didn't want to compete with what I already had going on. Then I thought I would take a old Playmates Toys Spock around, that might be cool, but still kind of been there. So I looked to the Star Wars Galaxy (since Batman already turned me down, too busy saving Gotham or something) for inspiration.

Who to take? Chewbacca sprang to mind. How about R2-D2 or C3-P0? A Stormtrooper, done that. Vader, surely he could use some vacation time. I didn't know who. Then I thought, everybody takes a Stormtrooper or R2-D2 around, matter of fact I have seen R2 and 3P0 taking some traveling shots at the Distracted by Star Wars Tumbler. Again, everyone does the popular characters. I needed to find a character, a droid more specific, that could use a break. Then it hit me THE POWER DROID! If anyone needed some time off it was this guy. Plus he never gets any love from fans.

So I opened my trusty Darth Vader carrying case and found my old childhood Power Droid, a little worse for ware, and told him for all his years of faithful service charging X-Wings and other Droids it was time for a break. He was extremely happy that anyone would remember he was in there. He also asked that I call him Gonk! So I told Gonk! it was time to see the sights!

Gonk! is going to hang around the house, go on little overnight trips, vacation and business trips, even just to local spots. I even whipped up a snazzy little logo for him as a surprise. He's excited and can't wait to get started, so I hope everyone will enjoy and cheer on my little friend as he explores his backyard and beyond.

11 comments:

Darius Whiteplume said...

Gonk was easily the strangest of the Star Wars figures. He is so unlike any of them. I am sorry he feels bad. Tell him from me that at least he was at least more useful than Boba Fett ever was.

Oh, and for a little self promotion, there is a new Dr. McCoy Shelf adventure at AiN.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to Gonk's adventures.

Unknown said...

Sounds fun - great job on the logo, BTW!

Brian Ashmore said...

The logo is fantastic! Nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of trouble Gonk gets into.

Erick said...

GONK RULES!

Mario! said...

Gotta love the GONK. The logo is really cool, too!

LEon said...

Looking forward to GONK!

Bubbashelby said...

Sounds like fun! Gonk on!

Bubbashelby said...

Also, funny you mention the Distracted by Star Wars Tumblr - the guy who runs that one is a friend of mine and a previous co-worker of my wifes. Small blogger world!

Brian B said...

Gonk always reminded me of the robots in the movie "Silent Running".

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/90482-2.jpg

Ask him if they are related.

rob! said...

That graphic you made is made of WIN.