Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

7 Days Left!



To be honest I didn't think I would last more than say five days, but I have been holding strong and now that there are only seven days left in the month, I think it's safe to say I can make it the entire 28 days without buying myself a toy.

I have seen several of you out there trying the same thing with the same success, and some have been waiting for me to pass some sort of judgement or a pass on stuff they have bought, when at the end of the day it's up to each individual to decide how they have coped with not buying toys. I never started this to force anyone to try it, just thought it would be easier for myself personally if I had friends come along for the ride and offer support. I'm sorry if some thought I was a villain or a task master for even starting this, apparently more issues are at play.

I can honestly say that for myself it really wasn't as hard as I thought even if I hadn't received some toys from friends, family and the few e Bay purchases that shipped from January. Several times I found myself in toy aisles at Target or the Grocery Store or trying to drop hints to family members that toys always make nice "just because gifts" but I think it really wasn't an issue not walking out of a store with a toy in hand. I also noticed that my overall pop culture spending dropped all together, no books, DVDs, etc. Matter of fact the only thing I had picked up for myself this month was some parts for my bike and a Star Wars T-shirt, it's been sort of refreshing.

So here's some stuff that arrived unsolicited, barring my January eBay purchase, let's take a look...


First up is a vintage Cloud Car (which my wife has taken to calling a "Clown Car") along with this R2 Unit I was expecting these to arrive in February having purchased them in January from eBay, I'll try to get to better pictures of it in another post.


Here we have a package I received form a buddy of mine, name withheld unless he wants to reveal himself, who was sending me an extra piece that he had to a vintage Millennium Falcon, he also decided to send a few other things... A Snowtrooper for my reward AT-AT in March (fingers crossed), a comic I hadn't seen since I was little The Marvel Empire Strikes Back adaptation, one of those AWESOME little Kenner catalogs that used to come with the vintage toys. Oh and Batman number 110 for the Batman self! Thanks again, this was totally unexpected.


Last up, but not least. My wife decided that Valentine's Day needed some extra goodies, so when I returned home from work that night she had this waiting for me, Another Admiral Ackbar and a new Lego set. She told me she wasn't sure what I had or didn't have and she couldn't pass up Ackbar (figuring I more than likely already had him) because and I quote "It's a Trap!"

That's really it, still true to the challenge and counting down the days until March and know that I think about it I think this may have been a good exercise to help with keeping in my focus areas... one other note, I have been checking out eBay and it never fails all the stuff you are looking for is at ridiculously low prices but the auction all ended in February... I just watched a Mint Vintage 12" Stormtrooper, with original packaging in decent shape sell for about the same as the cruddy ones go for without packaging, that hurt, I will not lie. Just watched it go and I didn't even place a bid because I didn't want to risk messing up my own challenge. So let me know how you guys are doing or let me know what you have missed out on by taking the challenge in the comments and thanks for sticking it out with me.

10 comments:

chrismandesign said...

well CB, actually i was thinking that the tough thing bout a "not-to-buy-a-toy-in-a-month" challenge is that there r toy offers u couldn’t reject, precisely happening while u r taking this refreshing brake & that’s cruel... in my specific case, i hav many, many toys waiting to b paid (it will take at least 4 years to pay them all), so my toy purchases, apart from those already mentioned r very few... i will b in that challenge for sooooo long *sigh*... XD

LEon said...

You wife is so sweet to give you toys for Vday...

Anonymous said...

I'm still holding in there. Our taxes should be in the bank this week. So if by Friday they are, I might just fail. I have not hit up stores to see the new Transformers "Reveal the Shield" line. I haven't even hit up Wal-Mart for anything, even food. If we're out in Albany Friday, it's safe to say I'll be walking out with a few new toys. I didn't think I'd make it this far. But it's been 3 weeks, so I'm happy I've made it this far. You also have that AT-AT on the line, so it's imperative that you make it through next Monday!

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

i've lost out on a couple deals- it was hard not to watch. i've been playing a fun game: put toys in Amazon cart, take some out, put others in :D i feel like it's been good though, good to practice some self-restraint- especially since i'm on a "self-betterment" regimen. though i cheated somewhat: the buying spree in Jan. kept toys arriving at my door, almost comically, for several days into Feb., and i just recieved news that the Amazon order i placed in NOVEMBER for 7 DCUCs (ugh!) should be arriving any day now :D ha ha! that'll burn Bubba's ass fer sure! :D

Bubbashelby said...

"I'm sorry if some thought I was a villain or a task master"

Who could have thought such a thing? ;)

You know I just like giving you a hard time, Chunky Beiber! I luvsya like a brutha! And so far I have only failed by one twenty cent toy, so in my world that is success squared!

Brian Ashmore said...

Oh, man... you passed on a vintage Stormtrooper!!... aaaagh!

I'm doing pretty well on this challenge, too. I have received a couple of things that were either gifts or things that I preordered in previous months... so, it hasn't been too tough. Having preordered stuff feels like cheating, honestly.

i did, however, pass on something that REALLY HURT. I don't collect all the JLU figures but buy all the Bat-related characters. So, of course, I run into ONE JLU 3-pack with Batman, Joker, and Gray Ghost at Target... and left it there. Sigh. That hurt because it seems like the Batman related 3 packs ususally end up pretty rare... I don't usually even see them on the pegs. I stayed strong, though... and that was a "win" in and of itself.

Unknown said...

Your doing great CB but i want to see what happens during the aftermath of this...."Will Chunky B. go on a wild speeding spree on toys?" "Tune in next time....Same Chunky Channel, Same Chunky Time!" lol. Am just joking with you buddy. : )

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

Well if chunky doesn't go wild I certainly will- i'm mildly ashamed to say that I AM ACTIVELY TAKING AIM RIGHT NOW! :D

Unknown said...

lol Super-D. : D

Doc Atomic said...

Your strength is an inspiration to us all! Hang in there.

Easy for me to say, of course. I'm not even pretending to not buy any toys. Am I proud of this? No, I'm a weak, weak man. But on the other hand... I've picked up some really cool stuff lately!

You're a rock. A chunky, chunky rock. You will not yield, and for that, you will receive your reward in toy Nirvana!

In all seriousness -- I'm impressed, man!