Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Vader Invasion: Day 7

You knew this day was coming, Action Figure Day of the Vader Invasion, though I put action figures through out this is an Action Figure Heavy Day.

No. 37: 1998 Freeze Frame Darth Vader

If I am not mistaken this is the first time you could pull the helmet off Darth Vader and view him with your own eyes. A nice figure and around these parts hard to find. I remember stopping by a Toys R Us and finding that they just stocked the Star Wars section, then you could afford to by two of every figure, and I could usually get about 6 to 8 figures a pay check then, now you have to take out a loan to buy one!



This Vader came with a little slide which was a frame from the one of the movies. I have a whole bag of these slides, and I thought it was one of the best pack-ins just because you could scan them and have fun in Photoshop with Star Wars scenes.

No. 38: 1998 "Duel Grip" Flashback Darth Vader

I'm actually surprised I have this figure, seeing how I sold off my packaged version of him and I believe I sold the little pack in that has a picture of Darth Vader, then you pull a tab to reveal little Annie! Those were the days just before the Phantom Menace, we all wanted to see anything with characters from the new movie.



No. 39: 1999 Comm Tech Darth Vader

I like this Vader for two reasons, one the pose is sweet and reminds me of the old publicity stills from 1977, and two "Now you can hear the figures talk!" This was of course if you purchased the Comm Tech reader, which I did, and I kept, because not only did they release some of the Classic characters with comm tech they released the Phantom Menace figure with Comm Tech!



The thing I always thought was weird was he had no lightsaber, but he did have a cool interrogation droid. Now we will discuss the location of the hidden rebel base.

No. 40: 2000 Power of the Jedi Dagobah Darth Vader

This is the image of Darth Vader that Luke encountered while on Dagobah. You know the one, were he had to go into the cave to confront the Dark Side, where Yoda told him he wouldn't need his weapons and he ends up fighting this ghostly Vader and when he lops the head off his face is exposed. Chills still run down my spine. Brrrrrrrrrr.



No. 41: 2002 Saga Collection Bespin Darth Vader

"Luke... I am your father." This one has a feature that when you press the button on his back he is supposed to make a chopping action so he can chop the piece of cloud city that came with him in half, I never could get it to work, but he does have that cool pose where he reaches out for Luke. "No, No, Noooooooooo!"



No: 42: 2003 Saga Collection Throne Room Duel Darth Vader

Luke finally confronts Darth Vader in the Emperor's throne room on the second Death Star and Vader does this cool move where he just tosses his lightsaber at him. So who wouldn't want a Vader that could throw his lightsaber? Thing is it never really went as far as I thought it would, and his arm is really loose so it can fling it when the figure turns at the waist. This guy will not even stand without the borrowed stand. My lamest Vader in the collection. His Helmet comes off, again I think since the first time they have beaten this horse to death.



Well, that's day 7, I have one more day to go. I hope you will join us for the last of Vader Invasion here on Eclectorama.

3 comments:

LEon said...

Thanks to you I finally know one of my Vader belongs to "Saga Collection Bespin Darth Vader". The Jedi Dagobah Darth Vader could be the first Vader with PINK eyes. LOL

Bubbashelby said...

I remember when the removeable helmet Vader came out too - that was a high-water mark for Star Wars action figures for sure!

I only found one and he's one I have yet to release from his carbonite - I mean plastic - prison.

Ant Sized Man said...

Damn! have you got alot of vader, use to own alot of these aswell.
Mighty Mugg is my favorite, cool vinyl style design,might to pick a few of them up.