Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Blue Falcon!



Another Saturday Morning staple for me, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt! This show, corny as it was, had a Batman like hero, a cool ride (sort of reminded me of a landspeeder with a beak), and a side kick that wasn't some awkward teenager. I always wondered why this show didn't get released as a DVD set, maybe it has and I'm just not aware. The star of this show to me was this guy.



I thought Dynomutt was pretty cool. Okay he wasn't all that bright, but he was prepared for almost any situation. Plus he was a robot. I have a thing for robots apparently. A few years back there was an episode of Dextor's Lab that featured a re-imagined Blue Falcon, Dynomutt, and Dynomutt 2.0. That would have been a perfect spring board to launch a new cartoon.



Toynami produced these figures in a box set, along with other classics Birdman, Herculoids, and Thundar, plus several anime licenses. These figures are really solid and fairly sturdy, along the lines of the Playmates Toys figures. They can still be found at online retailers trying to clear out old stock and E-bay of course. Blue Falcon seems to be the same scale as Toycom's Space Ghost figure, and the molds are really similar. I always thought about going back for Birdman, but alas I am not that big of a Birdman fan, plus the new cartoon doesn't help much, what were those people thinking?

2 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

They did rtelease DM and BF on DVD - it's on Amazon: "The Scooby-Doo Dynomutt Hour - The Complete Series (2005)"

I never picked up that figure set but I may have to now - I've always had it on my radar.

chunky B said...

Oh Wow, you're right! Nice!

I picked this up froma site called Toynk, they used to have a clearance section, but not as good anymore. I've seen it on Ebay several times since.

Like your toy blog, I'm going to add it to my links!